Thursday, October 20, 2016

Vatnajökull: 4 Reason to Fall in Love with this Exhilarating Glacier Destination



Right from the outset, I will have to confess that I am a big enthusiast of glacier hiking, and the great outdoors in general. Every summer or winter (depending on my work schedule), I slot in a two-week period for purely experiencing the sizzling glaciers around the world. I have been to Norway, Alaska, Colorado, and other destination, but none comes close to Vatnajökull, Iceland. For anyone who fancies the thrill and excitement that comes from touring the glaciers, this nifty Icelandic region is truly a slice of heaven.
And here are four reasons you should pack your gears and head over to Vatnajökull.
Guided Glacier Tours
Venturing alone into the glaciers has never been a walk in the park. You need a local expert who can give you the safety rundown, offer you the best trails and attractions, and ensure that you have the best time out there. In my longstanding experience glacier hiking in Vatnajökull, Iceland, I’ve found one tour company that has made my trips effortlessly easy and safe: Local Guide. They are the reason I keep going back as my trip is always better and more fabulous than the last.
Skaftafell Ice Cave
I’ve been here at least five times, but its “wow” factor never gets stale. Located within VatnajökullNational Park in Iceland, these meandering cave offers you a glacier trail you will never experience anywhere else around the world. With breathtaking views, this cave will take your hiking experience to a whole new and sizzling high. Naturally, you’d have to visit these caves in winter as the entrance are sometimes unstable, or water levels are dangerously high during summer, but Local Guide can always find a glacier cave that is safe to visit.
Glacier Hiking
Glacier hiking in Vatnajökull is a class apart from the rest. With the help of tour guides from Local Guide, you will hit the trails without much hassle. Glacier hike trails in Vatnajökull offer unique and picturesque experience. Trust me; I never put my camera down as I snap breathtaking, panoramic views of the magnificent glaciers of Iceland.
Ice Tunnels
Besides the 150-m-long ice cave, Vatnajökull also boasts several ice tunnels that are as elegant as they are unique. Right at the edge of the glacier, you can rock on your crampons and an ice ax in hand ready to venture into these sizzling ice tunnels.
These are just but the top four reasons to hit the glacier hike trails of Vatnajökull. It’s also a beautiful location to relax far away from the hustle and bustle of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment